Happy Guy Fawkes Night, U.K.! - Our "bonfire" brush pile

In the UK today people are celebrating Guy Fawkes Night - commemorating the foiling of the Gunpowder Plot in 1605. The plan was to blow up the houses of parliament, with the king inside. Ever after we have commemorated the event by burning an effigy of Guy Fawkes, the conspirator responsible for the gunpowder plot itself, atop a bonfire.

I suppose if they had succeeded, we would still be burning bonfires - but with an effigy of the king on top!

We also enjoy fireworks and fire-roasted potatoes and suchlike traditional treats. A nice gentle civilized lot, the British! Here's the traditional ditty:

Remember, remember the fifth of November

Gunpowder, treason and plot.

I see no reason, why gunpowder treason

Should ever be forgot.


In commemoration I follow up my last post on chaparral clearing with a picture of our potential bonfire!

Comments

Never heard about this day. Interesting! Thank you for educating me, Mrs. Mouse! P.S That's a huge pile!
Chloe m said…
The first time I heard of GF was when I lived in NZ for a few months as a young girl. I had forgotten all about it and you reminded me. Thanks!
Christine said…
What a magnificent bonfire that would be! I think burning it would be a great celebration while recovering from the sore muscles caused by the clearing! Enjoy the festivities!